This concrete pavement was built by Jefferson County Road Improvement District No. 4 near Redfield Arkansas between 1913 and 1914. At the time, Arkansas did not have a state highway commission and instead left the task of building and maintaining good roads to farmers and residents in local districts. It was called the Dollorway because it was proposed to cost one dollar per linear foot to build.
The pavement was 9 feet wide and used a 1 part cement to 2.5 parts sand to 5 parts gravel mixture. The slab edges were built at a 45 degree upward slope forming a curb and leaving an 8.5-ft driving lane. An 18-inch gravel shoulder was placed on each side to allow vehicles to move out of the way of on-coming traffic.
Once finished, motorists would bring their cars to drive up to 45 mph on the 24 mile roadway. Today it is preserved in a rest area along U.S. Route 6.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.